• Page:

TOPIC:

Wearing his grandfather's QSA 7 years 7 months ago #48037

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
In Bournemouth today is the start of the annual air show. In town I met this chap, Harry Charles, who we collecting for ex serviceman. He was proudly wearing his grandfather's QSA.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wearing his grandfather's QSA 7 years 7 months ago #48039

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Certainly not something you see every day, did you find out his grandfathers particular regiment or corps?

Wearing his grandfather's QSA 7 years 7 months ago #48061

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
That is remarkable, David! I wonder if this gentleman has children and grandchildren who will keep up the tradition? I suspect that on ANZAC Day in Australia one might come across an occasional QSA in the arrays of family medals that are worn on that occasion.

Regards
Brett

Wearing his grandfather's QSA 7 years 7 months ago #48064

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Frank - he said he was in the Hampshire Regiment. There is 5819 Pte Charles with the correct clasps of CC OFS Tr 01 02 on WO100/187p382.

Brett - the chap said he wears the medals three times a year; for two collecting days and Remembrance Sunday.

His own CSM has clasp Cyprus. It was real pleasure to speak to him yesterday.
Dr David Biggins

Wearing his grandfather's QSA 7 years 7 months ago #48065

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Brett
Yes, you do very occasionally do see by-now-very-distant relatives wearing the QSA and sometimes the KSA on their RHS on ANZAC Day. All the ones I have seen have been replicas - understandably in view of the current prices of originals! Unfortunately, I have never been able to talk to the people wearing the medals. I really should do.
Best regards
IL.

Wearing his grandfather's QSA 7 years 6 months ago #48254

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Sorry for late reply David, I could not see any obvious available folio for Pte H Charles, perhaps there might be something left in WO363, although, any additional service could be in an other part of the army, his 1914 clasp would suggest, at the very least, a reservist called back to the colours on the declaration of war.

The man you spoke to does not look old enough to have been chasing that wretched bugger, Grivas, across the Cypriot mountains, my father was there with 16 Parachute Brigade, moreover, the Cyprus clasp was issued on the 1918 GSM to members of the British Army, he appears to be a gunner, he does wear the UN medal for Cyprus, but, I would think the clasp on his 1962 GSM is actually for Northern Ireland.
Regards Frank

djb wrote: Frank - he said he was in the Hampshire Regiment. There is 5819 Pte Charles with the correct clasps of CC OFS Tr 01 02 on WO100/187p382.

Brett - the chap said he wears the medals three times a year; for two collecting days and Remembrance Sunday.

His own CSM has clasp Cyprus. It was real pleasure to speak to him yesterday.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds