Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Talana Museum burglary 8 years 6 months ago #43607

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2144
Well the publication of the list has answered, regrettably, one of my medallic questions..

Item no 7 - a QSA to W.N. Garden (incorrectly described as Gardner by Talana) is the companion medal to my KSA to the same chap (I.L.H.) which I have covered at some point on this Forum. see here angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-awar...-the-2nd-i-l-h#24540

It came to me many years ago as part of a mounted for wear group I have to Sgt J. Whittaker of the NMR (Elandslaagte clasp) and an East London (Eastern Cape version) Fire Brigade Medal. Whittaker must have felt as did many colonials that he was entitled to the KSA. Perhaps he and Garden were friends and that's how he came by the medal.

It would have been a lovely re-unite, either Talana museum parting with the QSA to me or, the most likely scenario, me parting with the KSA to Talana. :huh:

I certainly hope we can run the medals down and that the perpetrators are brought to book. Irregardless of the monetary value of the medals the fact is that they belonged to the museum and the people of Dundee not some louts who were, I have no doubt, commissioned to do the job.

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Talana Museum burglary 8 years 6 months ago #43634

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
Durban's evening newspaper, the 'Daily News', yesterday (16 October) published a full account of the Talana Museum burglary, which is, as far as I know, the first in a large-circulation newspaper. The Daily News is part of a nationwide chain, so the report may well have been picked up by at least some of its sister newspapers. The report may also be viewable on-line. Better late than never.

Curiously, Charles Willson's Zulu War medal is still listed as stolen, although there have been reports that it is safe at the Museum. Also, the error is repeated that it was Isandlwana survivor Dugald McPhail's Natal Rebellion Medal that was stolen, and that it is valued at ZAR4.2 million. In fact, that medal belonged to McPhail's son and is probably worth about ZAR2-3000.

Brett

Talana Museum burglary 8 years 6 months ago #43636

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Thanks Brett, the link is here .
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Talana Museum burglary 8 years 6 months ago #43645

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, I hope these medals are recovered and ultimately returned to public display in the museum.

Talana Museum burglary 8 years 6 months ago #43763

• Anthony Govender
  • Thank you received: 19
There is light at the end of the tunnel. Watch this space.

Cheers

Talana Museum burglary 8 years 6 months ago #43767

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Have they been recovered?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds