Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Natal Government Railways 8 years 8 months ago #42445

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
The regiment spent around three weeks or so in Pietermaritzburg at Fort Napier, Captain Robert Bridgford would have certainly been very busy indeed putting together his MI Company, when George White landed in Durban on the 7th of October, the "rush" would have ceased and matters would have become rather more clear, the bulk of the force ordered down from India had arrived in the Colony.
Yet, he had decided to abandon everything north of the Biggarsberg, but, Natal is so vast, he had little choice really, the Manchester's left for Ladysmith on the 9th of October, they marched to Howick, interestingly, the NGR provided a special for their baggage and tents, but, the men had to march.
The following day they left Howick for Dargle Road, but, Colonel Curran received orders that he was needed urgently in Ladysmith, so he was to wait until the NGR could provide trains!
On the 11th of October they did manage to find two specials and I dare say that journey must have been quite unpleasant, the lads in open cattle trucks at such a high altitude too, but, certainly better than marching!

Interestingly, poor old Robert Bridgford had to march all the way with his MI Company, he did not arrive in Ladysmith until the 17th of October, I should imagine he was bloody livid with the NGR!

You mention Elandslaagte on the 21st of October, that was the next time the regiment was to ride with the NGR, in the vanguard was D Company, conveyed in an armoured train, but, C,F and G companies followed in specials formed with the usual cattle trucks, certainly a far cry from the standards maintained by the GWR and LMS back at home!
Kind regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Natal Government Railways 8 years 8 months ago #42485

• Frank Kelley
Brett,
Do you have any medals to the NGR in your collection, if so, I'd certainly enjoy hearing about them.
Regards Frank

Natal Government Railways 8 years 8 months ago #42488

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 740
Frank

I once had several NGR medals, but they went to a friend who had a special interest in medals to railwaymen. He once displayed this part of his collection at Durban's annual 'Coin & Medal Fair'. After his death, his widow moved to London and took the medal collection with her. As far as I know, all the medals are still in her possession.

I now have three NGR medals, one to a NGR Bridge Guard, Harry Exall, and the others to the brothers Arthur and George David Curry, who were from an Irish family that had settled in Durban. I acquired the latter medals as part of an exchange with Rory Reynolds. In typical Rory fashion, the Curry brothers were well researched, and he may already have posted their stories on this forum. I will check, and, if not, I will post at least some of the information he uncovered about them.

Regards
Brett

Natal Government Railways 8 years 8 months ago #42494

• Frank Kelley
Brett,
Superb medals, I suppose Horace Exall was Harry's brother, I was interested to see that Arthur Curry went on to serve with the IMR and his brother was a driver working on the already well mentioned specials.
Regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds