Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Brett Hendey 9 years 4 months ago #24087

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Mike

A visit to South Africa would make you realise that you have much more than just Health Care to be grateful for. Amongst many other things, a reliable supply of electricity springs to mind.

Frank

Yesterday afternoon did indeed go well. Refreshments appropriate to the age and condition of participants were provided. In spite of numbers reduced by deaths, emigration and other factors, the group manages to keep going. Medals from the Zulu War, Boer War, China 1900, WWI and WWII were shown. There were some good 'men (and one woman) behind the medals' stories told. After the 'showing and telling', the host brought out some Frontier and Zulu Wars medals from his collection to show me, which brought my inferiority complex to the fore again.

Regards
Brett

PS I feel guilty about this thread that carries my name, because the subject matter is far from the intended purpose of this forum. I will understand if a big stick needs to be wielded.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brett Hendey 9 years 4 months ago #24088

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
Glad you had such a nice afternoon yesterday, for me, collecting is a very different affair and I am rather envious, regarding your postscript, there are now some fifty posts in this thread, so clearly a popular one!
Regards and seasons greetings to both you and Mrs H,
Frank

Brett Hendey 9 years 4 months ago #24105

• Brianc
  • Brianc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 49
Frank

Brett stole the show yesterday with some lovely Zulu War medals, and the story behind them relating to the greatest disaster at the hands of locals the Victorian British forces had suffered up to the year 1879...he is too modest.

My year end light hearted contribution was to a lady of "possible" ill repute although her records did not quite state that...she had been in the "WAAS entertainment section" during WW2 :unsure:

One has to have these light hearted groups to balance out a collection, well thats how I feel.

A great afternoon was had by all.

Brian

Brett Hendey 9 years 4 months ago #24107

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Frank,

I agree with Brian. Brett's display and talk certainly stole the show.

My year end contribution was a China 1900 Long service group to a RN chap that sadly bypassed the Boer War and ended up in the Coast Guard.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Brett Hendey 9 years 4 months ago #24112

• Frank Kelley
Morning Brian,
Yes, I know, Messr's Cuming, Hutton and Smith!
Very nice too, I really can't remember the last 1879 I bought, I suspect it was an Officer in the NNC, I'd have to have a look.
I agree, the Brett, I feel, I know, a very little, is quite often, far too modest a gentleman!
Kind regards Frank

Brianc wrote: Frank

Brett stole the show yesterday with some lovely Zulu War medals, and the story behind them relating to the greatest disaster at the hands of locals the Victorian British forces had suffered up to the year 1879...he is too modest.

My year end light hearted contribution was to a lady of "possible" ill repute although her records did not quite state that...she had been in the "WAAS entertainment section" during WW2 :unsure:

One has to have these light hearted groups to balance out a collection, well thats how I feel.

Brian

Brett Hendey 9 years 4 months ago #24113

• Frank Kelley
Hello Adrian,
Well, I agree with you both, I have been fortunate to see the display too, but, of course, I have missed the talk!
China was a very interesting affair and the third war medal is a very attractive one as are the other two.
They have certainly rocketed up in value over the years, very much of interest to me are the members of the RWF who took part in the march to Peking, a very local regiment too, although, their depot was at Wrexham, they recruited all the way from Chester, the "capital" of my home county and Flintshire and then down the North Wales coastline.
I'm glad you enjoyed your afternoon, I think that is what collecting is all about.
Kind regards Frank

capepolice wrote: Frank,

I agree with Brian. Brett's display and talk certainly stole the show.

My year end contribution was a China 1900 Long service group to a RN chap that sadly bypassed the Boer War and ended up in the Coast Guard.

Regards
Adrian

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.463 seconds