• QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Take Your Pick Frank.....

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Your Avatar...... 9 years 7 months ago #21944

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
LOL! :)
The first is merely a sign is it not?

QSAMIKE wrote: Take Your Pick Frank.....

Your Avatar...... 9 years 6 months ago #22384

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
How amazing! Two weeks ago, I decided to change my avatar and replace the QSA/KSA of Inspector Abraham, Natal Police, with the single QSA awarded to Trooper H C Gorton, Imperial Light Horse, who died of wounds after the Battle of Wagon Hill. As is often the case when I cross swords with computers, I failed to make the substitution. I know that I seldom win in such situations*, so, after a few tries, I gave up. I am now amazed to find that the change has happened with no further intervention from me. Computers and other electronic things must be magic!
* I recently completed a puzzle sent to my e-mail address, the successful completion of which would prove that I have an IQ of above 70. I did succeed, but then failed in my attempt to add my name to the list of sages who had also completed the puzzle. I must be an idiot and the puzzle is rubbish.

The QSA in my new avatar is a medal that was kept highly polished by Gorton's grieving mother, who outlived him by two decades. While the polishing has reduced the numismatic rating of the medal to 'F', and hence also its value to some purists, it has actually enhanced the medal's value to me. Trooper "Dicky" Gorton was a remarkable man much loved and admired by his comrades in the ILH, by others who knew him in his civilian life, and by his family. The condition of his medal is one piece of visible proof of the high regard in which he was held during his short life.

Since the reduced image in the avatar does not show the degree of wear on the medal, a larger one is shown below.

Regards
Brett

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Your Avatar...... 9 years 6 months ago #22386

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Brett,

It was fascinating to follow Gorton's story a few months ago and I am sure you treasure his medal as much as did his family.

It is a fitting new avatar but I sorry you had problems changing them over.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.252 seconds