• Page:

TOPIC:

Cathcart Special Mounted Policeman - C Bowker 9 years 11 months ago #19428

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
There is just a single page for this unit including the sole name of Trooper C L Bowker. His CC clasp is crossed through. The page is sandwiched between Cathcart DMT and Cathcard TG in WO100/280p212. The roll page is dates 15 June 1908.

The note by his name says:

Employed as despatch rider to military at Cathcart and acted on occasions as orderly to Commandant Cathcart. Acted as guide to Colonel Lukin from Teaan (?) to Seymour. Employed as scout for military. Employed by Deputy Administrator of Military Law to collect wagons and ????? commandeered for military purposes.

Executed all military duties required of him while Trooper in Special Mounted Police force at Cathcart.

I wonder if his unique medal survives?
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cathcart Special Mounted Policeman - C Bowker 9 years 11 months ago #19452

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
David

The Bowkers were a very prominent Eastern Cape family and there probably are still Bowkers living there today. They arrived with the 1820 Settlers, who occupied land bordering on the Transkei and who were intended to keep the Xhosas from spreading further southwards across the Kei River. This led to century-long conflict between Xhosas and settlers, most notably in the Frontier Wars of 1843-53 and 1877-79. I expect there are several medals from these conflicts inscribed with the Bowker name, including one to Commandant B E Bowker, who raised Bowker's Rovers in the 9th Frontier War.

Regards
Brett

Cathcart Special Mounted Policeman - C Bowker 9 years 11 months ago #19455

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
That's fascinating, Brett. Many thanks.
Dr David Biggins

Cathcart Special Mounted Policeman - C Bowker 9 years 11 months ago #19458

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Excellent Thread,

I have Bertram Egerton Bowker's QSA and WW1 Trio here. He was the great Grandson to Miles Bowker the original Bowker settler to the Eastern Cape in 1820. Bertram was 16 years old and still a scholar when he attested into the Somerset East TG. His attestation paper is in the Archives in the UK.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds