Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Research Assistance..... Pre ABW Information..... 9 years 10 months ago #19645

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
Mike,

I have checked my Medical Directory 1903 which list all the doktors and dentists that got their qualifications in the UK. He does not appear.

Given the reference to 'Frisco' could he have qualified in the US?

Best wishes,

Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Research Assistance..... Pre ABW Information..... 9 years 10 months ago #19646

• JustinLDavies
Mike,

Further to my last he was a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland by 1918 which suggests a Dublin training post Boer War. He also held a Californian diploma in surgery. Various newspaper articles refer.

Seems to have been a bit of a rogue?

Best,

Justin

Research Assistance..... Pre ABW Information..... 9 years 10 months ago #19647

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Thanks Justin.....

Here is what I have found from a newspaper clipping since my last posting.....

Irish is right, I just don't know what all the abbreviations mean (L.M. of the Physicians L.M. of the Rotunda)......

From what I have read the camp was very poorly run, people with measles, typhoid and other infectious diseases all kept in the same room / area..... The one barracks was so draughty that they could not keep candles lit.....

Mike

WELLINGTON, JULY 27th, 1915

TRENTHAM CAMP TROUBLES

Edward Yeates, Surgeon Captain, was the next witness, and was particularly examined by Mr. Skerrett.

Asked as to his qualifications, he stated that they included the following Licentiate and Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland; Licentiate College of Physicians, Ireland, L.M. of the Physicians, L.M. of the Rotunda, Dublin; late attached to the R.M.C. Boer war, Captain in The Cape Medical Staff Corps, Chief Recruiting Medical Officer, Capetown; special duty plague, Capetown; sole medical officer in-charge of smallpox outbreak; Captain in the British South African Police and service in Samoa. He went on. to explain that in 1900 he had charge of a troopship that went to South Africa, where he had charge of the smallpox station for four months. It was in 1902 he became Captain in the British South African Police. He went to Samoa as a Captain and received the best credentials from Major Holmes for his work there. He reported himself at Trentham camp on December 29th, and remained on the .strength till February 27th. His nominal position was one of the medical officers. He was under Major Holmes, A.M.0., Captain Fyffe, and Captain MeKerrow.

Mr. Skerrett: Did you form any opinions as to the character of the camp?.-

Witness: It struck me as being improperly laid out. The tents were too much crowded together, and the general system was absolutely undisciplined, I am speaking about the, medical staff. There was no system attached to it, and no regular way of carrying on the work, particularly in regard to the sick parades.

How long was Major Holmes m camp as A.M.O. before you reported?

Witness: One day, I think.

How long has Capts. Fyffe and McKerrow been there ?

Witness: Since December 14th.

Did I understand you to say there was no system of performing the medical work attached to the camp?

Witness: If there was I never found it out.

Did you observe anything with regard to the system of issuing drugs and dressings?

The drugs were kept in the same marquee as where the sick parade was conducted. The orderlies were not as a rule trained, though some of them were very good men. The result was that there was great confusion in the issuing of drugs. Shortly afterwards another marquee was Constructed for drugs and dressings, and for looking after the men generally who were passed out from the sick parade. In those they were covered with dust, and it was impossible, to have clean aseptic dressings. the method of swabbing out the throats was very bad there was an insufficient number of brushes, and the same brush was used over and over again' without, properly sterilizing it.

Dr. Martin: How were they cleaned?

Witness: Dipped in boiling water.

And the same Brush used again?

Witness: Yes.

There was also a shortage of thermometers. Before I left there were six medical officers in one marquee. I have seen a man go in and be ordered a dose, of calomel; Not knowing what he was to do, he has walked on and had been collared by another medical man and ordered a black draught. He would then go to another and be ordered a dose of salts.

Mr. Skerrett: He took them all?

Witness: No, I stopped him in his career; I was watching him.

Mr. Justice Hosking: The more doctors the more nostrums?

Witness: The more doctors the more confusion.

Mr. Skerrett: Has the number of men reporting on sick parades increased or diminished?

Witness: Increased, There were always too many.

Did you personally take step in the matter?

Witness: I made a suggestion to Major Holmes and Capt. Fyffe that there would be an outbreak in the camp if something was not done to isolate the cases of measles better and prevent them mixing with the other men, and generally to improve the system of teaching orderlies so as to give them a knowledge of their responsibility.

Were any lectures or instructions given to the ambulance orderlies?

Witness: That I cannot say. I never heard.

Mr. Justice Hosking: Were your suggestions put in writing or verbal?

Witness: At first I wrote something, but, it was suggested that I should, not, so afterwards I spoke on several occasions.

Mr. Justice Hosking: Do you have or have you copies of what you wrote.

Witness: I wrote on camp paper.

Mr. Justice Hosking: To whom did you address your communications?

Witness: To the A.M.O.

Mr. Justice Hosking: Did they reach higher authority?

Witness: I could not say. I have not had any acknowledgment.

Examination of this witness was, not concluded when the Commission adjourned till to-day.

Captain Yeates, medical officer, said that the men in the isolation camp were so badly guarded that' they frequently met others isolated for other reasons. It was really not an isolation camp. Hutments had been, erected on grounds which showed signs of having been old trench latrines. The tents should have been shifted at least once a month to adjacent ground. The witness was struck off the camp strength on 27th February on a report of the director of medical services, who did not hold the degrees as high as the witness. Captain Yeates did not conceal the fact that he had a grievance.

To the Solicitor-General, witness said that he had threatened Colonel Purdy with a libel action, and had made charges against that officer. He had been advised that suggestions for improvements would not be well taken. At sick parade there was no place in which men might shelter while waiting to be examined. When epidemics break out there should be further inspection than a sick parade.

Captain Yeates, replying, to Mr. Gray, said that Major Holmes had reported on him. That report was unfavorable and untrue. In the report made by Mr. Holmes on witness' return from Samoa, he wrote favorably. Witness added that he gave evidence riot from prejudice, but a genuine desire to help the men. The whole combatant staff work are splendidly, doing their best to keep he camp clean.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Research Assistance..... Pre ABW Information..... 9 years 10 months ago #19648

• JustinLDavies
Thanks Mike,

L.M. means Licentiate in Midwifery.

Best,

Justin

Research Assistance..... Pre ABW Information..... 9 years 10 months ago #19649

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Thanks Justin.....

Perfect job for a Military Surgeon...... LOL

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.867 seconds