Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Research Assistance..... Pre ABW Information..... 9 years 11 months ago #19387

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Everyone.....

I am trying to do some research on a Doctor who served in both the ABW and WW1 who's group of medals I was able to obtain from a fellow member.....

The name is: Edward Yeates

He served in the R.A.M.C., I.Y., C.M.S.C. and B.S.A.P. during the ABW and in if you wish to call it in the N.Z.M.C. during WW1 of which there is some argument and makes a fantastic story that I am working on......

The big thing is that I have exhausted all of my sources to find out what he did before the ABW.....

What Medical school did he go to.....

Where and when was he born / died.....

etc...

I have tried FMP....

Ideas?????

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Research Assistance..... Pre ABW Information..... 9 years 11 months ago #19388

• QSAMIKE
Here is a little that I have found so far:

Free Lance - 24-September-1915

DEPARTURE OF TRENTHAM CAMP HERO

The stalwart khaki-clad figure of Surgeon-Captain Yeates no longer makes picturesque the Rialto of Wellington. And certain high persons in charge of Defence will sleep a little easier o' nights now. But that advantages not the Dominion of New Zealand. The people will be chagrined to know that Surgeon-Captain Yeates, after rendering yeoman service, has had to depart homeward bound (per the S.S. Marama last week-end), and. goes with a rankling sense of injustice in his breast.

Let us recite the brief story of his connection with the New Zealand headquarters. At the outbreak of war, being established in a lucrative medical practice at 'Frisco, he threw it up, like the impulsive Irishman he is, to offer his services to his country. He had previously served as a surgeon through the Boer war, with the Cape Medical Staff Corps and the British South African Police and won great kudos. The New Zealand steamer was about to sail, and he thought this the likeliest part of the British Dominions to need his services. So he hied hither, and was sent away with our expedition to Samoa. Dr. Yeates came back in charge of the invalided party, and bore with him a letter from the Principal Medical Officer, praising, his services and hoping he would return. Instead, he went into camp at Trentham. Early in the year he protested against 'the insanitary conditions there, and, along with Dr. DeLautotur, predicted forcibly the epidemic that broke out in June and caused a scandal throughout the' country and the loss of so many lives. Such plain speaking wasn't relished in the least by people in high authority, and he was "dispensed with.". Since then he has been vainly trying to get his back pay and an, honourable discharge with a view to reporting himself to the War Office for service at the front.

"The Powers That Be" wouldn't move. They were up against him like adamant. Tired out at last, his means exhausted, and with a strong; grievance owing to, New Zealand's unfair treatment of him he has gone away. To report .himself to the War Office in London. Perhaps, those who gave him such a bad time here may yet have cause to regret it. Surgeon-Captain Yeates may win fame at the front that will compensate for all his unrequited services here.'
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Research Assistance..... Pre ABW Information..... 9 years 11 months ago #19394

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Mike,

Have you searched for entries and an obituary in the BMJ?
Dr David Biggins

Research Assistance..... Pre ABW Information..... 9 years 11 months ago #19399

• QSAMIKE
Good Morning Dave.....

No have not previously looked there but just had a quick look, could not find obit but saw they had an article about him wearing a military uniform without authorization.....

Guess I will have to register to become a member to see.....

Mike

djb wrote: Mike,

Have you searched for entries and an obituary in the BMJ?

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

Research Assistance..... Pre ABW Information..... 9 years 11 months ago #19400

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
Mike,

The annually published 'Medical Directory' will give details of his education, locations etc.

Best wishes,

Justin

Research Assistance..... Pre ABW Information..... 9 years 11 months ago #19403

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Mike,

I registered on the BMJ site for free if I remember correctly although this was a little while ago. If you only only have the option of a paid subscription, please let me know and I will check for you.

Hope you're enjoying the show?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds