• Page:

TOPIC:

Attestation 10 years 1 month ago #17758

• Huggybear
  • Huggybear's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm familiar with Attestation Form B.111 used to enroll men into the Imperial Yeomanry from late 1899 but can anyone please tell me how officers signed up and if their Forms are available at TNA.
Thanks in grateful anticipation,
Dennis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Attestation 10 years 1 month ago #17759

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Hello Dennis and welcome!

When you say officers, are you thinking about IY or imperial officers?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Attestation 10 years 1 month ago #17760

• Huggybear
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
David:
I'm thinking about officers in several units. I'm engaged on a project which is investigating men memorialized at British Public Schools and I'm trying to get background information on both officers and rank/file. Army forms B111 and B265 are very useful to me for other ranks and I'm wondering if there is an equivalent for officers.
Dennis.

Attestation 9 years 5 months ago #22922

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hello Dennis......

Here is something that you may be able to use......

BOER WAR SERVICES OF MILITARY OFFICERS OF THE BRITISH, COLONIAL ARMIES, IMPERIAL YEOMANRY, MOUNTED INFANTRY, LOCAL UNITS etc. 1899 - 1902 INCLUDING EARLIER SERVICES, Savannah Publications, 1998

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Attestation 9 years 5 months ago #22929

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Dennis
I have done a bit of reading on the process used at the time of the ABW to appoint officers to the IY and it is quite different to that of the regular army. A lot of info about the IY process may be found in Will Bennet's "Absent Minded Beggars" ISBN 0 85052 685 X. You might profit from getting a copy of that book.
As I understand, commissions for junior officers in the initial IY were "made locally" (by the Lord Lt of the County?) and had to be approved by the Imperial Yeomanry Committee. The War Office banned Regular Army officers from joining the IY. Any application forms would have been kept by the IYC, I have to assume.
The New Yeomanry (2nd Contingent)was raised by Army Order with a Deputy Adjudant General appointed to recruit it. Applicants for commissions had to be recommended by someone who could give a valid opinion of the applicant's abilities. Applicants were supposed to be interviewed by the officers raising the contingent; it appears many were not and references were unchecked before appointments were made. Again, I assume applications would have been kept by the DAG.

Commissions in the 3rd IY Contingent again seemed to have been at the discretion of the DAG - with more care taken in selection.

Thus trying to look for applications for Commissioning documentation in the IY seems to be a hopeless case. I can only assume that - in the parlance of a later conflict - IY commission holders were "temporary gentlemen" and the relevant papers discarded. Some time ago, djb did a look for me in the Brit. NA for IY commission applications and he couldn't find much at all.

The book Mike recommended (Boer War Services of Officers etc) is often quite handy for activities of officers actually in the field. However, background of an IY officer might be more likely found in Army Lists and an entry might give geographical clues.

Dennis, not much to help you here. It seems you have a research job in front of you. Good luck with your project. Should any member of the forum be able to correct any misapprehensions I might have over the "officering" of the IY, I would be happy to hear same and learn from them.
Regards to all
IL.

Attestation 9 years 5 months ago #22933

• Huggybear
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Gentlemen,

Many thanks for these replies. I've now sourced both Boer War Services Of Military Officers and Absent Minded Beggars so I'll take a good look at each of them in the hope they can move me forward a bit. Thanks indeed for your interest and the information.

Dennis.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds