• Page:

TOPIC:

The Scandinavian Corps 10 years 7 months ago #14131

• Peter Agerbo Jensen
  • Peter Agerbo Jensen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I found this picture in the archives at the Danish Rigsarkiv last friday.

The man in the middle is Jens Jørgen Friis, born 27 November 1858 in Haderslev, Denmark. As a young man he left Denmark with his wife to be a farmer and manager of country houses in South Africa. He took command of the remnants of the Scandinavian corps after Magersfontein 11 December 1899, the corps was almost wiped out and its leader, the Swede Flygare, fell. Then Friis was in charge of the Corps at Koedesrand, Jacobsdale, Klipdrift and Paardeberg.

The young man on the left in the picture is Friis' son, Jens Aage Friis, who at age 14 joined as private in his father's company in the fight against the British.
After Paardeberg both father and son were interned in a British prisoner of war camp at St. Helena along with the remains of the Scandinavian Corps.

Do you have information about the Scandinavian Corps or other Scandinavians/Danes in the Boer War, I am very interested.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Scandinavian Corps 10 years 7 months ago #14132

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Peter,
I would speak to Henk Loots, a member of this forum, I know he will have not only have a specific interest in the Scandinavian Corps, but, will also be able to tell you a great deal about them, you can send him a pm or just wait as I am sure he will read your post in due course.
Welcome here, by the way,
Regards Frank

The Scandinavian Corps 10 years 7 months ago #14140

• Peter Agerbo Jensen
  • Peter Agerbo Jensen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you very much, Frank :)
I have read a lot about the corps, mostly scandinavian books and articles.
Finally, I have found an interesting collection in the archieves in Copenhagen about Danish volunteers, but it deals mostly with the officers and not the private soldiers.
I would be very interesting in sources as an example letters from the volunteers. I know that some letters from members of the corps, when they were interned at St. Helena as prisoners of war, should have appeared at an international auction for collectors. I am also interested in sources from South African Archieves about the corps.
Thanks in advance.
Regards, Peter.

The Scandinavian Corps 10 years 7 months ago #14141

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Peter,
You will know far more about the Scandinavan Corps than I will ever know, but, I am sure that Henk will be able to discuss these men with you, at length and in great detail.
I do remember seeing a good ABO to this unit sell for £450 at a sale in London years ago now, at a time when you could go out and buy most other ABO's for just £40-£60, in quantity too, happy days indeed!
Again, welcome to this forum,
Frank Kelley

The Scandinavian Corps 10 years 7 months ago #14170

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Peter

I have a fair amount of data on the Scandinavians who fought in the Boer War, including copies of the ABO medal application forms of the majority of the men who applied.

However, it is not in a format that I can easily transmit a lot of data to you : I have a fairly slow internet connection. Moreover, I am leaving in a few days time for a 3 weeks' camping holiday in Namibia and I still have lots to do in preparation.

If you Google "Boer War Scandinavian Corps" you will turn up a lot of references to keep you busy for quite a while.

Henk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Agerbo Jensen

The Scandinavian Corps 10 years 7 months ago #14171

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hello Peter......

Take a look at this thread.....

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/20-tribute-me...ersfontein-1899#3653

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Agerbo Jensen

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.503 seconds