• Page:

TOPIC:

Impossible task 1 month 3 weeks ago #94443

• Biddybuzzz
  • Biddybuzzz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
I’m searching for an uncle of my Dad’s who was, according to him, killed at the Crossing of the Battle of the Modder River. Dad referred to this man as his uncle Michael. Dad’s name was Richard Hetherington from Queens County now known as county Laois. Being Irish, and not unknown across the world, young men enlisted in War under assumed names and dates of birth, hence my dilemma. I believed my father when he talked about this soldier uncle of his. I have searched in a haphazard way for him but have found nothing and I can’t ask my Dad because he is dead. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Impossible task 1 month 3 weeks ago #94444

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 768
I think your search is unlikely to be successful without a surname. There were 72 British killed at Modder River. Often the place of death is recorded as the field hospital or headqurters nearby, so you'd also need to look among 210 men killed at Magersfontein, only a short distance north of the river. If he died of wounds, the place of death may be far from the battlefield.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Biddybuzzz

Impossible task 1 month 3 weeks ago #94447

• Biddybuzzz
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for a prompt reply, it is much appreciated. I will keep searching because I feel that I owe it to this soldier uncle of mine. For all I know, he may well have been an enlisted soldier serving elsewhere across the world. Another uncle of Dad’s served in India but died in WW1. His name was Richard Hetherington and I have had a little plaque placed on Dad’s grave in his memory. It is important that we don’t forget them. Magersfontein and field hospitals here I come, searching for Laois/Queens County ancestors. All suggestions and hints will be appreciated.

Impossible task 1 month 3 weeks ago #94486

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1176
Hello Biddybuzzz

I had a look at the In Memoriam roll of honour of the Imperial Forces for you reference Hetherington. There were 4 entries of which I have enclosed for you. Alas, no direct match to your man which would be around November 1899 for his demise at Modder River.
As previously stated, without a forename your quest I imagine will be a difficult one and possibly an "ImpossibleTask". Many soldiers used different surnames to enlist. Mother's maiden names were very popular. If you are lucky enough to come across any additional clues or information that may help, please let the forum know and we may be able to assist further.

8155 Corporal P Hetherington Thornycrofts Mounted Infantry killed in action at Spioenkop 24th January 1900.

6015 Lance Corporal R Hetherington 2nd Cheshire Regiment Died of disease Springfontein 28th January 1901.

3754 Private W Hetherington 2nd Dragoons died of enteric fever Kroonstad 5th April 1902.

Also, there was a A Hetherington of the 5th Lancers. Unfortunately no specific information relating to his date of death or location.

www.britishbattles.com/great-boer-war/battle-of-modder-river/
This link will give you an overview of the battle in which your dad's uncle may have been killed.
There is also a list of regiments which took part in the action.

Best wishes

Dave.....
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Impossible task 1 month 3 weeks ago #94488

• Bicolboy59
  • Thank you received: 73
I think that your reference to Modder River could well be correct. iy must me remembered that dispatches could in some cases cover a few days and that what was considered as the principal advice in the dispatch may not relate to the incident in question. It is well known that as an example someone who distinguished them at say Colenso may well have been recorded as say having dome something during the "Relief of Kimberley" ! not incorrect per se, but it does take digging. If there are regimental notes or a journal that could ease your grief.

Impossible task 1 month 2 weeks ago #94515

• Biddybuzzz
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Dave for your information. It will be a long time before I give up on finding this soldier of mine. Not knowing his regiment or where he joined up here in Ireland is frustrating but it is a big help having found this forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.544 seconds