Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Maj.Gen.Sir Andrew Jameson McCulloch, K.B.E., C.B., D.S.O., D.C.M. Wilkinso 8 years 6 months ago #43414

• Will M
  • Will M's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Recent find the sword of Major General Sir Andrew Jameson McCulloch, K.B.E., C.B., D.S.O., D.C.M. Wilkinson cross guard sword made in 1901 with VR cypher, later adding a basket hilt.
A WW1 genaral who led his men into battle and was wounded three times on separate occasions. He first enlisted as a private, later commissioned and promoted to general.

During the South African War he served as a ranker in the City Imperial Volunteers Mounted Infantry and was awarded the DCM. On August 4th 1900 he was commissioned from the ranks in to the Highland Light Infantry, and was also attached to the 12th Mounted Infantry. This commision was recommended by the Field Marshall, Commander in Chief South Africa. Whist in Africa he saw service in actions at Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill and Wittebergen. As well as the Distinguished Conduct Medal, he was also mentioned in despatches for service in South Africa.

Please excuse the fact that I have not found much info on his Boer War history. Any is greatly welcome.

www.21stdivision1914-18.org/mcculloch.htm

www.21stdivision1914-18.org/miraumont1918.htm

www.gatehouse-folk.org.uk/ww1.asp?offset=200&d=5&ID=2

books.google.ca/books?id=mGJtBQAAQBAJ&pg...th%20brigade&f=false

Below excerpts from the links and photos of Sir Andrew Jameson McCullochs sword.

""In an operation of this nature the presence of the Bde commander is essential... if the troops know their Bde. commander is near their morale is increased.
This indeed are the words of a true front-line-general- the "man on the spot"

"although McCulloch had to intervene personally when one platoon, who's own leaders had been killed or wounded, showed signs of wavering and came back towards the rear. McCulloch reported:
I do not think these men were panic-stricken. They simply faced a blow- had their directing hand removed and were in sort of a invertebrate state with no will to guide them .. (it) is in this that the danger of night fighting lies. Directly these men met me and found someone who meant business they responded willingly and went on with their task.
From this point on the men advanced "full of confidence", charging more German positions and taking additional prisoners."

At some point McCulloch traded his cross hilt for a basket hilt. A Wilkinson sword made in 1901, blade of 32 1/2" with the VR cypher, McCulloch initials (AJMC) and family crest, and etched Highland Infantry. The scabbard drag has spur marks, basket has its buff leather liner and tassle.

Unfortunately I could only find 1930 photos of him with his heavy cavalry looking sword, possibly the 1857p Scots sword but not his earlier basket hilted Wilkinson sword.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Maj.Gen.Sir Andrew Jameson McCulloch, K.B.E., C.B., D.S.O., D.C.M. Wilkinso 8 years 6 months ago #43415

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Interesting research project Will......

Looking forward to all the information that you can find.......

Do you know where his medals are??????

Mike

Oh yes here are your pictures......

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Maj.Gen.Sir Andrew Jameson McCulloch, K.B.E., C.B., D.S.O., D.C.M. Wilkinso 8 years 6 months ago #43418

• Will M
  • Will M's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello Mike and thanks for enlarging the photos. I have found plenty of info in regards to his WW1 service. Wounded 3 times in his career. A real leader of men, in WW1 advancing 4500 yards, taking a town and 2 to 300 German prisoners.
I must research his service in actions at Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill and Wittebergen. This will be good to see how he moved up in rank and how his abilities grew being forged in South Africa.

Maj.Gen.Sir Andrew Jameson McCulloch, K.B.E., C.B., D.S.O., D.C.M. Wilkinso 8 years 6 months ago #43420

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
WillM
My copy of Boer War Services of Military Officers shows:
Lt., Highland Light Infantry. Served with City of London Imp Vols. Acting Adj. and Qmaster at Dordrecht. Ops in the OFS 2/00-5/00. Employed with the Mounted Infantry. Ops in ORC 30111900 to 2/01. Ops in Cape Colony Feb to Sept 01, ops in the Transvaal and ORC 9/01 to 31051902. Despatches LG 10/9/01. Queens Medal with six clasps, Medal for Distinguished Conduct in the Field.
I realise you know some of the above :)
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Will M

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.093 seconds