Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 5 years 7 months ago #60175

• David Alexander
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi. I read this thread with considerable interest as my Great Grandfather was also Alfred Morris!! So I'd really like to get in touch with you Sluggie. And, Meurig, it would also be great to hear from you as you seem to have a wealth of information at your fingertips!

One of Alfred's daughter, Hernrieta Morris, was my Grandmother and I too am searching for more information about Alfred and Annie Morris as well as my Grandmother. My research has so far resulted in the information below although I'm still seeking confirmation. I also have an ulterior motive as, if I can find proof that my Grandmother, Henrietta Morris, was born in Ireland then I would be able to apply for an Irish passport. I'm of course thinking of Brexit and the fact that I work in Spain.

Father – Alfred Morris: 2nd Lieutenant Shropshire Light Infantry (This is the rank as shown on the marriage certificate – Henrietta Morris married Maurice Ellis Bird. in 1922. But other records show that he was actually a private.) And at the time of the marriage he was ‘deceased’. I believe that he died of his wounds on 19th May 1900 fighting the Boers at a place called Jacobs Rust in South Africa.
Mother – Annie Hurley (I thought that the maiden name was ‘Eardley’ but apparently not.) Apparently, Alfred and Annie married in 1893 and had four children before his death. In the 1901 census records Annie was the ‘head of the household’, a widow and a charwoman unable to read or write. Her children were
• Arthur (Spelt ‘Arther’ perhaps incorrectly?)
• Henrietta (Spelt ‘Henretta’ perhaps incorrectly?)
• Mable
• Annie A.

I've got further information although I don't know if this thread is still active given that the last correspondence is over two years old. So if anyone is out there, it would be great to hear from you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 4 years 11 months ago #63512

• fraya_74
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello, I know this is an old post, but we share common ancestors - specifically Alfred Morris and Annie Morris. Their daughter - Mabel Victoria- was my Great Grandmother. I don't have much information about Alfred, he's a tricky one to trace, but I'm more than willing to share any information I do have, we are family after all :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sluggie

Private A. Morris - 2nd Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry 4 years 11 months ago #63560

• Sluggie
  • Sluggie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Fraya!

Great to hear from you. I would be happy to hear any information you have!

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds