Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can anyone obtain copies of SAC records from the NA in Pretoria? 9 years 3 months ago #24982

• gilesforrest
  • gilesforrest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My great grandfather and two of his brothers received the QSA/KSA:

- Guy Archibald Forrest
- George Francis Forrest
- Charles Evelyn Forrest

I understand service records are available from the National Archives in Pretoria.

I've searched online on NAAIRNS but no mention of Forrests specifically - does anyone offer services to research and obtain copies of records if they exist?

Many thanks,

Giles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can anyone obtain copies of SAC records from the NA in Pretoria? 9 years 3 months ago #24983

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
Google Dewald Nel, he is a researcher and got SAC records for me in the past. Nel Antiques is his business I think.

Good luck
Ryan
The following user(s) said Thank You: gilesforrest

Can anyone obtain copies of SAC records from the NA in Pretoria? 9 years 3 months ago #24985

• absentminded beggar
  • Thank you received: 11
Mr gilesforrest,Sir...

A check of SAC service records V77 shows 5 'Forrest' files viz.

B225 - GA Forrest
B1333 - George Fergus Forrest
B85 - James Forrest
A799 - James Forrest
B1699 - John Forrest

Maybe of some use to you?

Amb
"The greatness of a nation consists not so much in the number of it's people or the extent of it's territory as in the extent and justice of its compassion"

Can anyone obtain copies of SAC records from the NA in Pretoria? 9 years 3 months ago #24987

• gilesforrest
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks amb,

Yes 225 is the regimental number for Guy Archibald I've found in the QSA medal roll, and 1333 for George F (interesting you have Fergus not Francis).

Where were you able to check SAC records? Is there somewhere online? I'm not sure what V77 you mentioned mean.

Regards,

Giles

Can anyone obtain copies of SAC records from the NA in Pretoria? 9 years 3 months ago #24988

• absentminded beggar
  • Thank you received: 11
Mr gf, Sir...

Get NAAIRS search - U obviously already know how.
Select TAB database - holding of all old Transvaal records.
Type in 'SAC' as the search item.
From list of files that comes up, refine search (from toolbar at top of screen) using 'Forrest' as name to be filtered from SAC database.
U will get yr listing of the 5 names already mentioned - V gives the Volume number in which the files are kept in database.
U will not be able to open files on line to read the contents - just have the general name e.g. 'Service Records of xxxxx (name/s)' with dates covered e.g. 1901-1903.
Copy of file contents can be requested from National Archives or have a researcher do this for U.

Hope this makes sense - pretty straightforward really once U get yr swing right & have a basic idea of how the database is organized.

Amb
"The greatness of a nation consists not so much in the number of it's people or the extent of it's territory as in the extent and justice of its compassion"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gilesforrest

Can anyone obtain copies of SAC records from the NA in Pretoria? 9 years 3 months ago #24989

• gilesforrest
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Great, thanks for that - I'd looked on NAAIRS but must have had the wrong search criteria. I can now point to the records required - and verify if George Fergus is a typo or actually my George Francis was never in the SAC (the medal roll was my only evidence) and I'd assume F was a Francis.

Giles

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds