TOPIC:

Plumer and Baden-Powell 9 years 5 months ago #23781

• quickies
  • quickies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Dear All,
I have a copy of Col. Plumer's report on operations leading to the Relief of Mafeking (National Archives, London WO 32/7950) and B-P's report on the Defence of Mafeking (London Gazette 8/2/1901).

Both were subsequently deployed on operations in the Transvaal. Does anybody know if they compiled reports on their involvement in any of activities subsequent to the Relief of Mafeking, please?
I haven't managed to find anything yet, but may not have been looking in the right place. (I'm planning
to be back at the NA on the first Tuesday in December for another search, but I'm hoping that if
anybody has been down this road before they can give me a couple of pointers).

Neither were involved in any Courts of Enquiry that involved surrenders/defeats of the British which can
be found in NA files WO 108/372.

I'm looking for something about any "successful" operations they may have been involved in

Kind regards,

Geoff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plumer and Baden-Powell 9 years 5 months ago #23783

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Geoff
Col. Plumer's Services of Officers entry has it that, subsequent to the RofM, he served in the TVaal west of Pretoria and then generally in the Tval, ORC and CC. Baden-Powell's entry simply says that, subsequent to the RofM, he was on the Staff. The Official History V3 says that BP was given command of the pacification of the Marico district and perhaps you might do some further reading in that source. Interestingly, Col. Plumer was i/c one of BP's mobile Columns. You might also consult Meurig's Gazetteer regarding activities of BP and Plumer at Rustenburg.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, quickies

Plumer and Baden-Powell 9 years 5 months ago #23797

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Geoff,

There are several mentions of Plumer in the NA catalogue for activities after the RoM.

For example:

Reference: WO 32/7950

Description: OVERSEAS: South Africa (Code 0(AU): Boer War: Dispatch by Col. Plumer on history of operations of Rhodesia Regt., British South Africa Police and Southern Rhodesia Volunteers from outbreak of war to relief of Mafeking; account of expenditure

Date: 1901

Good luck with your search!
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: quickies

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.369 seconds