Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Defenders of Ladysmith - E C Cobbold 9 years 6 months ago #23293

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 246

volunteer1860 wrote: E C Cobbold was Ernest Cazenone Cobbold and I managed to find an obituary for him in the York and Lancaster Regiment's journal, Tiger and Rose, in February 1932.

He died at Aldeburgh, Suffolk on 17th Jan 1932. Born in 1866, he was educated at Charterhouse and joined the regiment from RMC in 1885. Promoted to Captain in 1895, he was a Major by 1901, and Lt Col in 1912. Cobbold was Superindendent of Gymnasia for the North East district from 1901 to 1904.

He served in SA, obtaining three Clasps, taking part in Spion Kop, Tugela Heights and Pieter's Hill. Later he served in WW1 commanding 2nd btn York and Lancaster Regt from 1914 to 1917, being MID and was awarded the Order of the Commander of the Bath.

In July 1896 he had married Edith Mary, daughter of Col A W White, who was Commanding the Royal Artillery at Cape Town.

The Cobbolds are a well known brewing family from Suffolk as anyone who has supped a pint of Tolly Cobbold will know. They have also historically been very closely connected with Ipswich Town FC. There will be plenty of information on the Cobbold family online which may help you with your research.

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Defenders of Ladysmith - E C Cobbold 9 years 6 months ago #23307

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
I would guess that there is a similar print for the officers in the relief of Ladysmith? It would be a large print if it existed. Does anyone know of such a print?
Dr David Biggins

Defenders of Ladysmith - E C Cobbold 9 years 6 months ago #23308

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Apparently, Greenwall, 'Artists and Illustrators of the Anglo-Boer War,' mentions two prints by Dickinson. The National Army Museum has two photogravures published by Dickinson and Foster. The first one bears the title ‘The Relievers of Ladysmith Natal Field Force, Portraits of Officers Taking Part in the Campaign’ and the other, ‘Officers of the Highland Brigade 1900.’

I will see if I can find these ...
Dr David Biggins

Defenders of Ladysmith - E C Cobbold 9 years 6 months ago #23309

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Stephan Welz sold one of the prints in 2012 for R6160. Interestingly, the print sold was given to G W Lines whose QSA I used to own:

On the lower right hand side of the border of the print is the handwritten pencil inscription "Presented to G. W. Lines Esq. (who was the Town Clerk of Ladysmith during the Siege) by the publishers Dickinson & Foster, London, Jan 1902 in recognition of his kind service in assisting them to get postcards of those Townsmen of Ladysmith who took part in its heroic defence".
Dr David Biggins

Defenders of Ladysmith - E C Cobbold 9 years 6 months ago #23310

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The only copy I can see of the relievers picture is on sale at Clarkes Africana & Rare Books for US $2000. No picture sadly.

The National Army Museum also have a print: The Relievers of Ladysmith; Natal Field Force. Coloured photogravure group portrait of Gen Sir Redvers Buller and the relief force on a kopje near the town in Feb 1900, with a separate key to 198 figures and 9 portraits in the margin; After Dickinson and portrait photographs, signed by the artist, published by Dickinson and Foster, 114 New Bond Street, London, 1 Dec 1902.
Dr David Biggins

Defenders of Ladysmith - E C Cobbold 9 years 6 months ago #23311

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Pleased to see Arthur Curran is included.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.425 seconds