Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bernard Vivian Fitzgibbon 9 years 9 months ago #20682

• Kyooma
  • Kyooma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Last time I contributed to the forum was approx three yrs ago. I was helping a South African friend who was seeking info on his grandfather's involvement in the Boer War. The forum was very helpful and I am grateful for the help I received. I made some headway. Bernard Vivian Fitzgibbon, no. 1192, enrolled in the 2nd Brabants on 23-01-00 in Pretoria. Trooper BV Fitzgibbon with three clasps Belfast,Cape Colony and Wittebergen was deleted off Brabants Horse Roll and was discharged 15th October 00. He later served in the PAVG MI with no. 1544 or it might be 1542. It seems there are no attestation papers for PAVG MI at the NA but there is a nominal roll but he is not listed. I'm afraid I gave up. www.angloboerwar.com/media/kunena/emoticons/sad.png
Once more on to the breech etc. etc.so back into action. I am seeking info on BV Fitz's army career through his army records which should light on the names of his parents and where he came from. My hunch and that of his family is that he emigrated from Ireland probably in 1886.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bernard Vivian Fitzgibbon 9 years 9 months ago #20684

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Fitzgibbon was certainly very interesting as far as the Anglo Boer War went, I think the best and obvious thing to do would be to take a careful look at WO126/6-14 at Kew regarding his time in 2nd Brabants Horse, he did serve in the PAGMI as number 1544, but, because it was not a Class C SAMIF unit, there are no papers here.
He was also an Agent in the FID and he is clearly shown on their roll in WO127 and in WO100/354 for his KSA, although, his name here, is shown as Fitzgibbons.

Bernard Vivian Fitzgibbon 9 years 9 months ago #20701

• Kyooma
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Frank for your help. Bernard Vivian is a difficult figure to track down. According to his family who live in SA he was always mysterious and vague about his past. His background is definitely Irish, says he was born in CT but they believe he was born in Ireland. Unfortunately Irish baptismal records pre 1890 were destroyed during the civil war in 1922. What was a Class "C" SAMIF, what did the "C" relate to. Would it have been possible for BV to be a member of the PAGMI and to be in the FID at the same time. I will contact KEW re WO126/6-14 as you suggest. Again thank you for your help and I will get back and let you know the result of my query to KEW. Liam

Bernard Vivian Fitzgibbon 9 years 9 months ago #20702

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Liam,
The SAMIF was in effect spit into differing categories, really, mainly for financial reasons, but legal reasons too, it is important to remember that it had the be paid for, a Class C unit was raised for general service throughout the whole of South Africa and not just a particular Colony, Fitzgibbon, would not have been serving in more than one corps at any single moment during the war.
Regarding his attestation and discharge paper for Brabants Horse, it may or may not have survived, so you, or someone commissioned by you, would need to have a careful look at WO126/6-14 at Kew.
Members of the PAGMI normally came from the PAVG, though, not always, interestingly, their medals are often simply named to this latter, so a look at their SAMIF nominal roll, as well as their medal roll is needed to identify them, beyond reasonable doubt.
Regards Frank Kelley
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kyooma

Bernard Vivian Fitzgibbon 9 years 7 months ago #22133

• Kyooma
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Frank,
I'm back again having been talking to Bernard Vivian's great grandson so I am remotivated. I will be going to London on Thursday next and may, if I have time, pay a visit to KEW Gardens to have a look at WO126/6-14 - as you have already suggested. Having been involved with the 2nd Brabants, PAVG, SAMF and the FID would there be any other trails to follow other than WO126/6. :unsure:

Liam

Bernard Vivian Fitzgibbon 9 years 7 months ago #22144

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Liam,

Good luck on Thursday. Please let us know how you get on.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.685 seconds